Support of missions has been an integral part of the church’s life since the days of Rev. Burnham in the early 1800’s. His interest in foreign missions helped to build the base for the continued interest and support for mission programs up to the present.
In the 1920’s, a group of women with a strong desire to study mission work of the church formed the Dorcas Study Group which continued to meet for about 30 years.
In 1957, the Missionary Committee of the church was renamed the World Service Committee and charged with promoting mission education and giving within the church.
Sunday School classes have actively participated in mission programs and have contributed to such projects as UNICEF, Heifer Project, Casa Mia Protestant Settlement House in Italy, East Harlem Protestant Parish, Indian missions, etc.
Today, the church strongly supports Church World Service and the Board of Homeland Ministries through the United Church Conference, as well as other special mission projects. Recently, there has been a revival of interest in supporting local projects such as collecting food for the Community Action Program, and putting together Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets for the needy in our communities. Thus, a good balance has developed in our mission to others.